Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too -or -YIPEE I was able to attend the opening day of the farmers market!!

 This turned out to be a wonderful weekend.  Rick and I took a drive out to pick something up in Willimantic and stopped at the Mansfield Center General Store.  I have heard about their wonderful brunches on Sunday but I did not realize they also have an antique store attached to the quaint restaurant that you walk into.  





We ate a scone that had just come out of the oven, and had an amazing ginger jasmine ice tea! We sat here and watched the world go by.  Peek in the window and you can see someone sitting at a table enjoying a sandwich!



Cute outdoor seating!
I purchased this old petticoat and lace, I am making an apron out of them!

Waistband will be replaced!

So  I am sure you are wondering what I meant by having my cake and eat it too.  I was supposed to vend today at a wonderful show in Worcester, but it was postponed until next Sunday.  This was fabulous for me as our Coventry Regional Farmers Markets opening day was today and I did not want to miss it.   I would have missed the veggie gardening class and the first swap of the season, along with seeing the new barn! So I was able to go the opening day and still vend next Sunday. Yes I will miss next Sunday at the market, but I didn't miss opening day!


This is soon after the bell rang to open the market!!  I headed over to get in line for the first Farm to Hearth pizza of the season.
  






This is the best pizza ever!!  Todd and Mel from Farm to Hearth are wonderful and their pizza is a labor of love.  Cooked in a wood fired stove, we had the radish, mushroom and kale pizza.  All the ingredients that are on the handmade sourdough crust are found at the market.  Todd picks them out from each vendor in the morning.  I forgot the kind of cheese, but I can tell you it was delish! They also sell bread!
 Then I headed over to see the progress on our new barn!


I thanked the builders for working on Sunday, they were treated to lunch on the Market I heard.  I got to stand inside this beautiful structure that we won.  I cannot wait for all the canning, pasta, etc classes and other events they will be holding here once it is completed.

Lines are forming!!  Get your favorites while they last!

 

A favorite of mine, in the very left bottom corner, bags of bamboo rice.

It was nice to see Christine again and congratulate her on her recent sucess!  Her yummy Wendy Bites are to die for and all gluten free.

Filling up nicely!

Our market is dog friendly!


Got some tea from Rose, and her sea salts are wonderful.

I adore Wayne and his wife!  They introduced me to Kholrabi!

MaryLynne is a felted wonder!  I bring her sweaters for her twirly skirts and she gives me buttons!

Her birds are amazing and I have one of her owls!

There are always events for the kids, plant your own seedlings was todays event.

Hard to see him, but in the yellow shirt is Paul from Purity Farms, I always get my fingerling potatoes from him!

I was trying to get the sign, the green and yellow that said GMO FREE!

The lovely Hannah Fair played today.  Soon the entertainment will be in the barn.

This Sundays swap was seedlings, although anything hand made is accepted.  I ran out of room on my phone for pictures but there was another table with hand made goods.  I swapped a roma tomato plant, 2 jars of granola, and I came home with lemon balm, campion rose plant, and pullet eggs. Lovely Morgan gave me her last jar of barbecue rub so I owe her! 


There were other photos I wanted to take but I did run out of space on my phone.  I didn't get to introduce you to Carole of Topmost Farms, Jonathan of New Boston Beef and others.  So I think every Sunday that I am at the market and not vending I will blog about one of the vendors.  They all do their part to help us stay green and become self sufficient and eat healthier.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read and look at all these pictures, our market is fabulous, and remember EAT MORE KALE!!!

2 comments:

  1. COL..you really did enjoy your time given back to you...I love ...."having your cake...and eating it too"....

    ReplyDelete