Saturday, February 4, 2012

Bluebirds visit

I know the song that the bluebird is singing,
Out in the apple-tree where he is swinging;
Brave little fellow, the skies may look dreary;
Nothing cares he while his heart is so cheery.
Hark! how the music leaps out from his throat,
Hark! was there ever so merry a note?
Listen awhile and you’ll hear what he’s saying,
Up in the apple-tree swinging and swaying.
“Dear little blossoms down under the snow,
You must be weary of winter, I know,
Hark, while I sing you a message of cheer,
Summer is coming and spring-time is here!
“Little white snowdrop! I pray you arise;
Bright yellow crocus! come, open your eyes;
Sweet little violets, hid from the cold,
Put on your mantles of purple and gold;
Daffodils! daffodils! say, do you hear?–
Summer is coming and spring-time is here!”
Emily Huntington Miller.
Bluebird house that my brother made for me.


This morning I got up to make ebelskivers for breakfast I looked out the kitchen window.  I was so pleased to see a pair of bluebirds investigating the bluebird house that my brother made for me one year.
The male had his head in the hole and was looking inside.  Then he moved so the female could look inside.  This went on for about an hour, with the pair looking inside, then flying off to the pear trees, then coming back.  I never saw them go into the house.  Needless to say, our breakfast was slightly charred, but still tasted good.  I read that the male starts to look for a place to nest in February or March, and the female has the final say.  Once they pick a place to stay, it takes 4 to 6 days to make the nest, and it could take longer if it is colder.   Above is a picture of the house my brother made.  We put it up to late last spring so we did not get any bluebirds.  This winter we started to see them around for the first time!
I hope they pick our house to nest at.  More to follow if they decide to nest here!

4 comments:

  1. i've never seen a bluebird in the wild! take pics if they pick your house and you get a chance. i wonder if they would live in my backyard? something to investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was our first time seeing them, this winter. I think the birdhouse may have attracted them. My brother made the house specific to bluebirds. The correct height, correct size opening, etc. We will take pics as things progress! Kathy, I think you could attract them if you had a bird house. We put ours up last May when the ground was not frozen and that was to late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw my first and so far only bluebird a couple of years ago as I was leaving my sweetie's house. I just stopped the car and watched it for a minute. The person behind me wasn't amused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The person behind you Patty needed to learn how to take time to smell the roses, or in this case, take time to watch the bluebird!

    ReplyDelete